Friday, July 29, 2011

Five-Minute Friday: Still

5-minute-friday-1.jpg

GO.

One of the simplest lessons that I have learned in the past year is the importance of rest.

I’m good at pushing myself, at working hard. I’m also good at resting. But I’m not very good at balancing the two.

My tendancy is to go, and go, and keep going until I’ve reached some stopping place, at which point I collapse and indulge in doing absolutely nothing for as long as possible. Then I start all over. Usually the cycle is a month or two long, with anywhere from a weekend (after a finishing a paper) to two weeks (Christmas break) in between.

In a way, this way of living brings me satisfaction. I feel accomplished. But it also makes me bone-tired, a tired that accumulates throughout the year, because binge-resting does not really help.

What I need is consistancy.

I went on my first Women’s Concert Choir tours this year at Moody. During these tours, my director persevered in ensuring that we all had a certain amount of time each day that was designated as “quiet time”, not only to conserve our voices but to reenergize and focus us.

Since then, I’ve discovered that a little “me time” set aside each day does wonders for my energy, motivation, and emotional stability. It must be separate from my God time (which is, of course, even more essential), and it is not nap time.

Instead, I might read a book, crochet a little, or watch an episode of Psych. I do something I enjoy, something that takes my mind off of whatever is stressing me, something that is not essential. I do it alone. I do it consistantly, regardless of how much work remains to be done that day, because the time is moderated—no more than an hour—and when I am not so frazzled the procrastination dwindles.

I still work hard. But I have learned to pause occasionally, and be still.

STOP.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I hear you! It seems like the speeds are GO and STOP (like this prompt) and when I'm going I can't rest, can't hear the Lord for all the brain chatter busy-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Nice to meet you! I know, I'm not good at the balance thing either, lol

    Love, Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

    http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/07/five-minute-friday-still.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. balance. man, if only it was as easy as it sounds?

    find time for yourself!

    keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right! It's the balance between working and being still that's so difficult to achieve.

    ReplyDelete